Thursday, May 3, 2012

Always Avie's Sister

What a difference a week makes....Usually this time of  week I'm excited about posting my weekly post of 20two questions.  However, last Friday, April 27, 2012 the Lord needed my brother, friend, comedy partner, companion, etc. to sit with him in heaven.  So, I dedicate this week's 20two questions to my brother Paul Aviance "Avie" Durr.  There will NEVER be one to take his place.


1. Will anyone in my family actually remember where we got the nickname "Avie" from in the first place?

2. Does anyone know what this picture is a parody of?

3. How cute are we? ( Don't hate)





4. Do you celebrate your birthday no matter what your age?                                                         

5. Have you ever left the comfort of your home and moved across the country to have an experience of a lifetime?
Avie in Gambell, Alaska teaching.
  


6. Are Little Shop of Horrors, The Color Purple, Set it Off, and Beloved some of your favorite movies?

                           7. Do you love a good scary movie?


8. Are you dedicated to serving others?







9. Are you IN LOVE with your family?  

10. Did others see you as a superhero living life for God? 

11. Even when there are serious situations do you still find time to stop and capture precious moments with your  family?
12. Can you figure out where we are in this picture?

13. Is empowering youth important to you? 

 















14. Do you still hang with your childhood friends? 





15.  Do you still remember your roots? 

16. Did you work on Obama's 2008 campaign?  

17. Do you feed the hungry and give water to the thirsty?


















18. Can you take any moment and find a way to organize others to take humorous pictures?


19.  Is having a diverse group of friends always important to you?



20.  Have you had a love for Halloween from an early age?

 

21.  Do you understand that family and friends are the people that are your companions as you travel down life's highway?

 







22. Do you know that the Word of God is the Truth, The Way, and The Light?


Brother , I will always miss you, but I know in my heart that I haven't missed out on your life.  For 32 years we did life together and I am thankful to God for letting me borrow you that long. I will always love you. 






If the Lord says the same....I'll see you next week,

- N





10 comments:

  1. Yeah Nikki!! What a wonderful way to celebrate Avie!!! Thank you for sharing him with us. Thank you for knowing that God makes no mistakes, even when we feel they are wrong. Avie was special…not ordinary. At least you can walk around with your chest out knowing for 32 years he loved the Lord, served others, and lived a life worthy to be praised. The words used to describe him by everyone…I could only dream of….I mean WWAD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,

    What a touching tribute to Avie! My heart is full seeing his energy and feeling your love for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki, what an awesome tribute to Avie. As much as we miss him already, I know he would not come back to us even if he could. He's having a ball playing heavenly games with Jesus and PawPaw!! I hope that my 2 boys Pancake and Waffle (named thus by their big cousin Avie) will have many of the wonderful attributes that Avie exhibited. As for the photos on the blog:
    1. Big sister Nikki could not say Aviance, so Avie became the new name for the baby.
    2. American Gothic but without the pitchfork http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gothic
    3. Adorable..you must post the 80s preppy monogram sweater photo
    5. A "whale" of an experience
    6. "Celie's Fixin to shave Mister!" I can watch Color Purple every day and quote every line and never get tired.
    7. Thanks to fun weekends at Aunt Donna, very young Nikki and Avie were introduced to horror movies.
    11. Photo Shoot: St. Rest Cemetery, Guys TN after a burial
    14. Nikki and Emily are ya'll sitting on me, Prairie Dawn!!!! http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Prairie_Dawn
    19. Life in McNairy County at its best!
    20. Was PawPaw dressed in American Gothic too? Homemade costumes are great!
    21. The annual family Christmas caroling will never be the same. Great memories of Silliness beyond words.
    22. I love my Avie Pooh! Nikki, you have to go back to calling me "Meme", Avie never outgrew it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, thanks for your tribute and memories of Avie. He will always be remembered for his love for God, his family, and friends. We are thankful to God for blessing us with Avie for 32 fun filled years. When we think of Avie we can not be sad for a long period of time because we can always remember something funny or foolish that he said or would have said. I am at peace just knowing that he is with God. I am thankful that Avie had the opportunity to live a full life.
    - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki,
    You did a wonderful job. Kim did great answering the questions; some I knew others I didn't. Avie will totally be missed. Such a pleasant vibe magically bounced off of him. His joy and laughter were contagious!! No doubt in mind where he ended up -- Heaven residents are still rejoicing and he's still "scratchin' and survivin". Avie came, Avie loved, Avie lived, Avie taught people about God, and now he's gone but will never ever be forgotten!! Stay strong my Avery and Durr families!!
    Your cousin, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki,
    This is a wonderful tribute. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki,

    What a wonderful way to share the love and memories you have of your brother. It fills me up to know without a doubt that he is with the Lord. I love to think of him smiling that 1000 watt smile down on all the people he loved.

    RW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki, this was a beautiful tribute to Avie. Thank you for sharing a portion of his life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikki,
    This is a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. I read all the questions and looked at all the pictures changing from tears to laughter and back again. I know that you will miss him, but he is now with the God that he loved so dearly. He's in the Lord's army. God bless you and all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love me some Avie!!!!

    ReplyDelete